How's the new forum?

trophy345OBLITERATED

anything with more/better features than the previous version can always be better, given enough time for people to get used to it

i used a programming website and the community wasn't happy when an update came out which completely redid the design of the website, however i have since then gotten very used to it and now find the previous version much harder to use.

so this website can be better if people are willing to use it and get to know everything about it

• Administrators

3 minutes ago, Lookotza said:

Ngl, new forum do be lookin pretty thicc

Good thicc or bad thicc? 😛

2 minutes ago, Wombat said:

anything with more/better features than the previous version can always be better, given enough time for people to get used to it

i used a programming website and the community wasn't happy when an update came out which completely redid the design of the website, however i have since then gotten very used to it and now find the previous version much harder to use.

so this website can be better if people are willing to use it and get to know everything about it

Yeah honestly, when we switched from phpBB to Discourse we had lots of people who didn't like it as well... Change is difficult. You use something for years, get intimate with how it works, anything new is bound to feel inferior because everything works differently than you expect it to.

We spent a *long* time messing with this software, on a worse design (IMO) than the current one and ultimately most of the people who kept using it (haven't had anyone come out and say they didn't) seemed to end up preferring this and being excited for it. 

It has very different features, but it's quite powerful and swanky

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

mmm, what do you dislike about the design if I may ask?

You can also change your personal theme if you like. Clicking on the top right will switch to light mode, you can also go for the default look (bottom left) if you prefer.

well, i miss the *distinct* contrasting dual-color tags to denote the subtopic type for starters. 

dont you dare suggest light mode ever again 😠

resident shelf sitter

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, trophy435 said:

well, i miss the *distinct* contrasting dual-color tags to denote the subtopic type for starters. 

Mmm, changing it to the Fluid View will make it somewhat similar but subcategories arent as relevant here (its just organization, they're not unified, their parent is just another category. 

Shame you hate light mode, ours is pretty nice IMO...

1 hour ago, Nefertary Meriten-Mut said:

I like it better than the previous forum.

Glad to hear it!

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, VB said:

Will there be badges / something equivalent?

There is something somewhat equivalent - reputation. There is a daily, weekly and monthly leaderboard. Finishing top 3 on any of those will show on your profile and past records are shown.

Different but another way to strut yourself. There's a similar system for "Solutions" you give on peoples questions/issues. 

There is also a badge system available for this software. We may add it later, but we feel it's best to get people used to the forum first. 🙂

• Administrators

All the issues I had with it have already been solved, with time.

It's just a matter of getting used to the change, the same thing happened when we migrated from the old-old forum to the Discourse one.

We have super nice tools here too.

Off-beat heat mechs ™image.png Spitfire

Yeah it's a bit wacky with where all the notifs are it looks like I have to go to the home page to see it and the stream doesn't update automatically to show new posts.

P weird.

But this spacing between "Enter"s is fitting for my texting style so I like that, although there feels like a buncha missing things like "Passionate Polaris Title" or "Regular"s everywhere

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Hyakkimaru said:

Only slight problem i have is i can't use my original gif because of the size >.>

How big is it? I do want old pictures to work on this one as well, I already raised the default px from 170 to 600 and the default size from 500kb to 2500, I can raise it a bit further (but not too much, or itll be a pain to load pages in areas with bad internet)

2 hours ago, TheDeadMemez said:

Yeah it's a bit wacky with where all the notifs are it looks like I have to go to the home page to see it and the stream doesn't update automatically to show new posts.

Does create consistency though. Instead it just offers you to load the new post when there is one. It's a different strategy, some prefer it, some prefer the other 😛

2 hours ago, TheDeadMemez said:

But this spacing between "Enter"s is fitting for my texting style so I like that, although there feels like a buncha missing things like "Passionate Polaris Title" or "Regular"s everywhere

Once you have sufficient posts, you can set your own title. 

1 hour ago, Atusiff said:

Changing from table view to fluid view makes it look like the old forum kinda (on computer, not mobile)

Yep! I am not sure which I prefer yet between the views 😛

According to my observation, This forum is really good

- You can directly access the SM website and I really loved this feature
- There are clubs to promote more activity amongst forum members
- Leaderboard maintains a healthy competition about who has the best content :))
- You can hear the notifications and I consider this as a good thing since im the kind of guy that forgets things so yeah..it really helps me 
- There are various reactions instead of just liking so that we can really express our emotions
- Link to the discord server...Another good thing

Some things I want here :

- I absolutely loved them...You can flex on normies which dont have badges :  p
- I found navigation to be a bit difficult...

-  More reaction limit ( I mentioned this in one of my other posts as well

Yeah thats pretty much it 
Cheers to Alex and GatoGames team for doing such a great job !! 🙂