How's the new forum?

trophy345OBLITERATED

I personally believe that this new Forum has more functions that allows for a community-like system. The other forum was simple and broad which let us see everything in one picture unlike this forum where each individual message feels like it's own page. It's harder to have a continuous discussion because the layout discourages it. I believe this is what the group was aiming for and hoping to transfer all spammable discussions into the discord server, leaving this site with only the discussions that matter. 

Though I don't dismiss the new functionality of this forum, I do dislike how complicated it is with all these buttons and little pockets and lines and etc. Either this will be solved with time and my getting used to, or it's just a bad design in general (which I don't believe is the case). 

Maybe a midpoint between the overly simple design of the previous forum and this one.

And on a more selfish and personal note... my 24k likes in the previous forum can't be changed into 24k reputation points😭😭😭😭

• Administrators
5 hours ago, trophy435 said:

Okay so here is the laundry list of what I find quite difficult to do / cannot do on this new forum:

- those hidden Summary things and how to work them... like what the heck is a CSS class?? I'm not nerdy enough, and I don't wanna open a can of worms by Googling that.

- figure out the Club topic/blog creation features

- select which level of following I want on a topic (like on the old forum, you can select whether you only want to know when a topic is replied to when you are mentioned, if someone replies, or maybe not be notified whatsoever [muting a topic], etc.)

- a friend's list

- stealth mode when browsing the forum without logging out

- a strike-through font modifier in the post editing section 😠

If any of these are already available (such as a forum tutorial or features that I just did not spot before making this, lmk)

Thank you!

You don't need a css class for that. You can just ignore that part. You can use quotes as well. I can hide the box for it if people want, it can be used to stylize it yourself. 

Club stuff is kind of advanced and not meant for normal users but power users. We won't allow people to make clubs for much longer until they've spent months on this forum, for reasons as you mentioned - it's easy to mess up and hard to figure out unless you know exactly how the forum works. That's fine, should be like 1 club per 100 members or so anyhow...

You can customize it a little bit (and a bit more in your notification settings) but you can't customize per-topic if you only want mentions for that topic - only forum wide mentions. Adding that isn't technically possible sorry 😕 

Friends list I can add if people really want it? You can also just follow people and get notifications of their posts if you like. 

...You literally just did a strike through on stealth mode (which does exist) 😛

You can use either [*s]  bbcode for strike through, the button at the top of the wide version of the editor (editor shows more buttons on larger screen) or probably some control shortcut I dont know of. 

4 hours ago, SilverMan said:

@Alexander Hey Alex, The whole top Tool Bar Should stroll down instead of this

946880202_bandicam2020-12-2214-05-06-005.thumb.jpg.38021c1bb931a77da1880573ee08d50b.jpg

It Should Be more like this when strolling down and reading in forum, If possible.

69422086_bandicam2020-12-2214-04-27-926.thumb.jpg.8efb29ba6a88df2fcf136483c22e537f.jpg

I can look into it but that would add quite a bit to the top of every screen. Any particular reason why you want this?

I can also flip search and user bar with each other, but I feel like that may be a bit unnatural. Feel free to start a poll on it.

3 hours ago, SilverMan said:

Wow. Just realized that there are pages in this forum., instead of scrolling for ever.

Yes, originally I really hated that but a few others pointed out it makes it much easier to keep track of where you are and much harder to (on mobile devices especially) end up somewhere you dont want to be. 

Personally I like infinite scrolling, though.

1 hour ago, Killer gamer 22322 said:

The device thing, is Redmi 4X. It is a phone......

Mm, odd. Looking at the device shouldnt be that small. Did you try changing your theme to "default"? Its ugly, but it may help you.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, SilverMan said:

Main reason is that I would like to have this, in the right corner when scrolling

1350713840_bandicam2020-12-2218-53-43-952.jpg.9baeea9fa3703bbc61b91bbf7a70cb49.jpg

This also

1183215955_bandicam2020-12-2218-56-00-034.thumb.jpg.bc140d745da6d51678db930492239324.jpg

Why exactly? 

Again, best would probably be to do a poll asking if people want it instead of search. But honestly, if you add too much while scrolling, it'll make reading content a pain..

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, SilverMan said:

Well TS had that.  Got accustom to it.  Having to scroll back up or click on "Browse" or other items just to see "Notifications, and Messages". Make it easy, in just moving the mouse. 

if you get new ones they show up at the bottom of the screen though?

On 12/18/2020 at 6:23 PM, trophy435 said:

lock if a thread like this exists already

Personally, this forum does need polishing... and lots of it. Looks drabby and boring here. Hopefully, most of the features from the old forum (Discourse) can be applied here.

I disagree.  I don't mind the look, and if you want to improve that please do.  But this software has a much better ignore feature.  So I like the new forum better.

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

http://www.puresimplicity.net/~oneeyedcat/misc/supermechs.html