Half Plate

SawzAll

Do we need a "Half Plate"?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would a half platinum plate be useful when building mechs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Do you think we should come out with this item?

• Add this item
    • Do not add this item
    • Maybe / Tweak this item

I was thinking about mech building and had a thought: what about a literal "half plate" item?  I would call it "Platinum Half Plate."  The icon would look like someone literally chopped a Platinum Armor Plating in half.  Half the hit points, half the weight.  Useful for situations where you're trying to figure out how to balance hit points, plating, and such as you build a mech.

What do you all think?  Would this be useful?

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

http://www.puresimplicity.net/~oneeyedcat/misc/supermechs.html

Counter-Argument:

• The heavy weight and large commitment to some powerful modules is what's fun about them.
  • A literal half-plate wouldn't make much logistical sense, because that to me seems like it would just leave half of your mech vulnerable?
  • Yes, it would be useful, but it would trivialize the whole point of carefully choosing which parts you can afford to choose and which you can't, which is my personal favorite part of the game. This could potentially lead to a slippery slope of streamlined modules.

Alternatively: you could add a module that adds less armor for less weight, but have that ratio not be as good as a straight up halved set of stats. Personally, I'm not a fan of this option either, but I prefer it over the other.

No hard feelings.

20 minutes ago, Asther said:

We already have a platinum half plate, it's called iron plating.

He means with half weight.

Im against this idea, because it would render mech building stupidly easy. The point is that its hard to get the weight just right, and balance modules with weapons.

I literally pulled an MPV from r3 box, and from the other r3 box I opened, I puleld plat fortress, so its holy sry whiteout

3 hours ago, Asther said:

We already have a platinum half plate, it's called iron plating.

Negative, iron plating is as heavy as platinum.  The point here is to have an option when you have 20 kg to spare.  It's just simply to have more mech building tools at your disposal.  This one could be premium but (unlike platinum plate) epic-divine, sort of like how the damaged armor dissolvers are premium but not L-M (vs the damaged armor annihilators).

2 hours ago, Tirreggregars said:

He means with half weight.

Im against this idea, because it would render mech building stupidly easy. The point is that its hard to get the weight just right, and balance modules with weapons.

In a hypothetical futuristic environment, why should it be difficult to build mechs?  I mean, with all due respect, if I was in the field with the Air Force and we needed to modify something to be half, if we got approval we'd just cut it in half.  Like, if this was a literal plate of platinum armor that's 40 kg, I could just take it over to the machine shop on base and ask them to literally cut it in half.

If this would be added Iron Plate would become obsolete as it woulf have the same HP addon but double the weight.

In my opinion this wouldn't br a good item as it would makr another item obsolete, and it would be there just to make building easier, not to gain a strategic advantage over your opponent.

Legacy Messiah | Reign Forever | Rejoined March 2020

1 hour ago, Zylok said:

If this would be added Iron Plate would become obsolete as it woulf have the same HP addon but double the weight.

In my opinion this wouldn't br a good item as it would makr another item obsolete, and it would be there just to make building easier, not to gain a strategic advantage over your opponent.

iron plate is already obsolete if you have enough platinums

8 minutes ago, Melanös said:

iron plate is already obsolete if you have enough platinums

well, no sh*t but plats are rare.

Regardless, this item is unnecessary, as it would jsut be there to make building, easier and to make it easier to use the little weight u might have left. So no, dont make it.

I literally pulled an MPV from r3 box, and from the other r3 box I opened, I puleld plat fortress, so its holy sry whiteout

1 minute ago, Tirreggregars said:

well, no sh*t but plats are rare.

Regardless, this item is unnecessary, as it would jsut be there to make building, easier and to make it easier to use the little weight u might have left. So no, dont make it.

i agree, building a perfect mech is supposed to be difficult. this seems like a bit of a cop out

12 minutes ago, Fidelio said:

I mean it would be useful sometimes

but also: having to work around with the weight is part of the challenge; so I feel like these things can't be too flexible

exactly

On 3/28/2021 at 5:48 AM, Zylok said:

Not really. If you want you could make the half plate premium. Then iron plates wouldn't become obsolete.

17 hours ago, SawzAll said:

Not really. If you want you could make the half plate premium. Then iron plates wouldn't become obsolete.

It isn't necessary, all it does is make mech building easier, that is kinda counterproductive, since weight is part of the challenge

1 hour ago, trophy435 said:

i rather not have lighter plate modules

the fortresses are already game-breaking enough

They're not game breaking because anyone can get one, and they can be put on any mech you want.  With all due respect, this is not logical.

22 minutes ago, Tirreggregars said:

It isn't necessary, all it does is make mech building easier, that is kinda counterproductive, since weight is part of the challenge

This doesn't seem logical to me, either.  Weight will always be a part of the game, and I don't recall the legacy players saying anything about how the multiple strength/weight options of modules broke anything.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:05 AM, SawzAll said:

why should it be difficult to build mechs?

Why should I be able to throw 6 weapons on a mech, cover all ranges, and have good stats?

Because, that's just not how this works man. It never has and never will. I remember a long time ago, devs would do this when they played, throw 6 weapons on a mech, then get butthurt when they lose because they had no clue what they were doing 😛

I'm the real Turtle, simple as that.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:12 AM, Stefix5000 said:

Counter-Argument:

• The heavy weight and large commitment to some powerful modules is what's fun about them.
  • A literal half-plate wouldn't make much logistical sense, because that to me seems like it would just leave half of your mech vulnerable?
  • Yes, it would be useful, but it would trivialize the whole point of carefully choosing which parts you can afford to choose and which you can't, which is my personal favorite part of the game. This could potentially lead to a slippery slope of streamlined modules.

Alternatively: you could add a module that adds less armor for less weight, but have that ratio not be as good as a straight up halved set of stats. Personally, I'm not a fan of this option either, but I prefer it over the other.

No hard feelings.

it would be a smaller weight tho, so ppl who need more hp but dont have enough weight can use the half-plate. @SawzAll i feel as though it should be a c-d or e-d item

One Mech to rule them all

1 minute ago, MasterChief said:

it would be a smaller weight tho, so ppl who need more hp but dont have enough weight can use the half-plate. @SawzAll i feel as though it should be a c-d or e-d item

Cool, thanks.  Just so you and everyone else knows, though, I'm not against ideas.  I'd just rather not hear "it won't work." (Not you, but other people.)  Please instead tell me, IF it was to be a thing, HOW could we make it work?  How could we find a use for such an item without breaking the game?

There have been a few times in WU that I have that last 20 kg I'm trying to use that maybe a half plate would be nice to have.  In WU it's not a problem obviously because I can just switch items.  But in the game, people don't usually have both the premium physical resist and the premium physical fortress, if you know what I mean.  So a "half plate" might be helpful.

If you divide a Plat Plate in half, you're looking at what, 166HP? 

If this item it simply meant to be a filler for excess weight, make it around 100HP. Therefore an item that is half the weight of an Iron Plate is not outclassing it by miles. 

To be honest, I don't really like this item alone. Maybe if there was a bunch of different HP modules with varying weight and HP, but even then I'm still on the fence about it. 

I'm the real Turtle, simple as that.