Half Plate

SawzAll

Do we need a "Half Plate"?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would a half platinum plate be useful when building mechs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Do you think we should come out with this item?

• Add this item
    • Do not add this item
    • Maybe / Tweak this item

22 hours ago, Turtle said:

If you divide a Plat Plate in half, you're looking at what, 166HP? 

If this item it simply meant to be a filler for excess weight, make it around 100HP. Therefore an item that is half the weight of an Iron Plate is not outclassing it by miles. 

To be honest, I don't really like this item alone. Maybe if there was a bunch of different HP modules with varying weight and HP, but even then I'm still on the fence about it. 

Nah I'd rather it be literally half on all stats, including weight.

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

http://www.puresimplicity.net/~oneeyedcat/misc/supermechs.html

On 4/1/2021 at 7:10 AM, SawzAll said:

They're not game breaking because anyone can get one, and they can be put on any mech you want.  With all due respect, this is not logical.

a module that can be used as weight filler to complement the existing overpowered L-M dual mods? you do know what synergy is right?

resident shelf sitter

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

Hence why this idea is bad 👍

Why is it bad?

4 hours ago, trophy435 said:

a module that can be used as weight filler to complement the existing overpowered L-M dual mods? you do know what synergy is right?

Yes but it makes total sense in terms of realism (not like SM was designed to be super realistic with its 1000 kg mechs, but still).

I don't think it's going to be that synergetic.  You still have to give up a module space for it.  So if anything it's more likely that it will become a "nice to have" or niche item.  Like if you have Supercharge Resistance Module and not the energy fortress, but happen to have a spare module space for a half plate.

And I doubt that's going to happen very often.  Honestly the only time I had module space that was not being used was when I didn't have enough engines and mass boosters.  And even then, with my alt, i often substituted non-E-M stuff just to try to get better stats.

How often do you have a spare module space and 20 kg left over for a half plate?  Probably not often.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I don't see it.  Maybe low/mid ranks might benefit from it, but by the time you get to the upper ranks, I doubt the half plate would be useful.

Hence my point is to try to help the lower ranks.

Or instead of calling it "half plate" we could call it steel plate (E-M) and it be half the weight but the same HP as an iron plate.

Either way I think it might be useful.

items are usually released on a "this is pretty much meta" basis. because if isn't, then it's just a waste of a sprite and the devs get nothing of value from the cash throwers out there. (the last time a released item wasnt instantly in the meta ((and is never in the meta today nor the day it was released)) was the flaminator/hot flash). 

with dual mods taking over the top ranks, sacrificing module space isnt much of an issue. if (and when) the current energy-dependent metas do fall off, this module will be the most sought-after (power creep considered).

the only reasons people are ranked low are:

1.) they arent fully maxed (build and buffs)

2.) their mech configuration sucks

3.) smurfing (almost a non-issue)

having a half-plate won't help the low ranks either since they more than likely have better items to upgrade which will push them to be a rank or two higher when maxed as opposed to this ... hunk of metal. the half-plate will sit being a level 40 legendary at best (assuming this module goes up to myth) and will be forgotten until the late-late-late-endgame (if it's even relevant at that point).

Edited by trophy435 (see edit history)

resident shelf sitter

having a half-plate won't help the low ranks either since they more than likely have better items to upgrade which will push them to be a rank or two higher when maxed as opposed to this ... hunk of metal. the half-plate will sit being a level 40 legendary at best (assuming this module goes up to myth) and will be forgotten until the late-late-late-endgame (if it's even relevant at that point).

I appreciate your opinoin.

Is there any universe where a half plate could work?  If so, what would need to be changed to make it work?

I think people had the same attitude with Damaged Armor Annihilator (premium) versus Damaged Armor Dissolver (not premium), but the D.A.Ds work fine for me until I get the premium D.A.A.s.  That's an example of how I think it could be useful.

I thought I was the first that came up with the "lightweight plating" idea.

It'd be mainly useful for when you have some spare weight on your mech (and happened to have extra slots).

20 kg. Offers exactly half the punch of a plat-plate. E-M.

Because the hp/slot is low, we wont worry about spamming plate. E-M for the fact that it cost twice the amount of power (and item) to obtain the same amount of hp boost.

It might be popular, or it might not. Just like some of the newer weapons featuring retreats / advances. A "interesting thing in the collection" type of item, perhaps.

I'd say add it. No one cried for a distance shredder or a distance controller.

Yes, offering exactly half the punch of a plat plate might be still too much because how iron plating is half health and same weight.

But what kind of reasonable setup will leave you with 4 slots of accessory and still manage to fill up the weight limit that quick?

What advantage do they bring, compared to iron plate, beside the possibility of having more heavy weapons?

Not much. Try to think that the lightweight plate is absolutely op. It's going to be difficult.

Edited by CDR_Xavier
added content (see edit history)

It's a FLASH GAME. At least, it once were.

Get over it

23 hours ago, SawzAll said:

I appreciate your opinoin.

Is there any universe where a half plate could work?  If so, what would need to be changed to make it work?

I think people had the same attitude with Damaged Armor Annihilator (premium) versus Damaged Armor Dissolver (not premium), but the D.A.Ds work fine for me until I get the premium D.A.A.s.  That's an example of how I think it could be useful.

the case of the e-m dissolvers was that res became substantially more valued due to the dual mods allowing res plates to be swapped in for seemingly no extra cost as opposed to the past. if the meta shifts back to sacrificing res for en/heat stats (and it wont), then these drain weapons wont even be used (except for heaters).

i havent encountered many (if at all) players using drain weapons in midranks (6-10) since nobody really has any res to begin with along with a bunch of other factors.

the dissolvers are also lightweight and practically fill in any weight holes while providing bloodweep (which is weeping in the abyss rn) damage and enormous res drain in a meta where 110+ res in every category is practically the norm (as opposed to 50-80 res previously).

i guess the point im tryna make is that the e-m dissolvers didnt help the lower -ranked, but only helped the higher-ranked get higher.

resident shelf sitter

i guess the point im tryna make is that the e-m dissolvers didnt help the lower -ranked, but only helped the higher-ranked get higher.

Those E-M dissolvers helped me.  I'm running something pretty close to the CleverJumper with the D.A.D.s.  I humbly ask that we give E-M platinums (or half-plates or steel plates or whatever you think we should call them) a chance.

We could call them titanium plates.  That would explain their higher prevalence and lighter weight, but also their lower hit point value.

im sure the devs will notice this idea eventually and put it in the game with meta stats

i just want the power creep to be as slow as possible. unfortunately, the dual mods and fortresses really raised the bar by a large margin and the addition of the half plate might raise it substantially too if not correctly balanced. 

resident shelf sitter

5 hours ago, trophy435 said:

im sure the devs will notice this idea eventually and put it in the game with meta stats

i just want the power creep to be as slow as possible. unfortunately, the dual mods and fortresses really raised the bar by a large margin and the addition of the half plate might raise it substantially too if not correctly balanced. 

If you don't mind me going slightly off topic ....

Power creep is how warfare works.  We started off with spears and swords (probably), then progressed to firearms, then airplanes, etc.  While I was in the Air Force I was involved in the testing of the small diameter bombs.  In World War 2, we'd need to drop a 2,000 lb bomb on the enemy.  Now we can do the same with a 500 lb bomb.  This means airplanes can carry more of the bombs and destroy more targets.

Power creep is inevitable.  That's technology.  Power creep isn't bad so long as it's properly managed in the game.

So that's why I don't see this being a problem.  Many technology and war innovations happened in the field where "necessity became the mother of invention."  I can totally see being out in the future battlefield and taking a platinum plate over to the Sheet Metal shop to have it cut in half, for example.  In fact, I was involved in prototyping items for the Air Force.  Testing is fun.