Why so much YT?

SawzAll

This is a rant, but I'll try to be PC.

I don't understand why so many people are recording YouTube videos of SuperMechs these days.

It's one thing for top rankers to record: I like that.  I've subscribed to CleverName and I have watched his stuff.  Not a lot, but maybe an hour at most.

But I'm running into rank 12 who are recording this stuff.  First, it bothers me because people aren't asking "CAN I record you?"  They're just doing it and when you tell them you don't give them permission to record you, they tell you they're going to do it anyways.  What ever happened to asking people first?  What ever happened to people's freedom?

It's not the recording, it's the principle of the thing.

Second, with all due respect, there are thousands of videos on YT already.  I like stuff that's unique and different, but the same old thing thing?

I'm not disrespecting anyone who records.  I just don't understand it.  I don't record because quite frankly I'm rank 10 and I have nothing unique to offer.

If someone ASKED me if they can record, I'd most likely say yes.  But no one asks.

Anyways, I just don't get it.  Feel free to disagree with me.  And this was just a rant and an opinion: I'm just venting.  It's the principle of freedom and consent that bothers me mainly, but second, that most those videos are of the same old rank 25-12 rank matches which are a bit boring.

Edited by SawzAll (see edit history)

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

http://www.puresimplicity.net/~oneeyedcat/misc/supermechs.html

Anyone can record things, and it's all for fun. Most of course aren't going be good players. If they enjoy the game and wants to make vids in it, why not? It'll be boring to just have top rankers record as well. Variety is important. And either way, if you don't want to be recorded, just ask not to be. In the worst case scenario, you just get some publicity, there's nothing really bad about it.

• Administrators

I don't understand why so many people are recording YouTube videos of SuperMechs these days.

It's one thing for top rankers to record: I like that.  I've subscribed to CleverName and I have watched his stuff.  Not a lot, but maybe an hour at most.

But I'm running into rank 12 who are recording this stuff.
---
Second, with all due respect, there are thousands of videos on YT already.  I like stuff that's unique and different, but the same old thing thing?

From rank 25 to rank 1, anyone can make videos, there is no problem with that. People make videos because they like, have fun doing so and engage more with the community.

Doesn't matter if there's 1 or 100000 videos about the same thing, YouTube gives room for everyone to make videos about what they enjoy, and it's good to see the same thing from different perspectives too.

They're just doing it and when you tell them you don't give them permission to record you, they tell you they're going to do it anyways.  What ever happened to asking people first?  What ever happened to people's freedom?

What's the problem with being recorded in SM? You don't want people to see your lose/win? You don't want people to see your mechs? Even then, they have the rights to record you playing, it's not illegal and there is no reason for it to be. So if you're in a video and don't like your participation, contact them and ask politely for removal.

Principle does not apply here, we don't need your permission to post a video of you playing, and vice-versa.

---

I hope you understand now, also keep in mind: If you don't like, don't watch.

Edited by Raul (see edit history)

Off-beat heat mechs ™image.png Spitfire

I make videos as a rank 10 player, and guess what? People still watch it. That's because people like watching someone who has about the same progress as them. As for the asking for permission thing, I never do it. You can find yourself in a few of my videos Sawz, I don't ask for permission because its a game and its not violating privacy or anything. Plus when you load into a arena battle, its not like you ask for permission then if they say no you edit that out. So I would think that the permission to record thing is kinda weird, but otherwise I disagree that you don't have anything unique to offer as a r10. Sure you can't do like testing crazy build videos, or maxing out every single new item that comes out, but otherwise people still watch this stuff. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Clan: Goodbye To A World

epicspeedster, SpeedMachine

Yeah, I also think there is ridiculously large amount of SM YouTubers considering how small this game is compared to others, and the content I would agree is somewhat repetitive,  probably ironic for me to speak that way because I am also one of SM YouTubers, but I at least to try to make more unique or slightly different content simply by editing the crap out of it.

And actually you got a fair point regarding the principle and etiquette of other peoples consent regarding being recorded whilst unaware of that.

3 hours ago, Raul said:

I hope you understand now, also keep in mind: If you don't like, don't watch.

All very well, until your final comment. The way you say it´s rude. But this isn´t the first time that I have observed, even on the BattleDawn forum, that people in positions of trust sometimes behave with a degree of arrogance and rudeness.

I don't like the video stuff either. Although is fair to say, supermech videos are terribly boring. There must be nothing more boring in all of YT than SM battle videos.

And not. It isn´t illegal, or at least it is on the line between what is legal and what is illegal. A good professional could find the weak point in the matter. But beyond that, there is something called politeness and courtesy, which never hurts. Especially since many videos are made only to belittle other players and highlight the "achievements" of their author. It´s absolutely disgusting that Supermechs allows videos that are made to make fun of other players to be published on a public site outside the game.

All videos should have prior approval from the administration.

firma.jpg.5ad7ed7596a81f94ed0e4ad194f78bfb.jpg

13 hours ago, Raul said:

Even then, they have the rights to record you playing, it's not illegal and there is no reason for it to be. So if you're in a video and don't like your participation, contact them and ask politely for removal.

Nope.

First, I have this from TactiSoft (now Gato Games).  I have the right to tell anyone that I don't want to be recorded, and if they refuse to honor my request, I should report them to Gato Games.  I've been in email correspondence with them.

Second, that's not how consent works.  You don't record people against their will and then wait for them to contact you to have it removed.  You should ask for their permission each time.  Nothing in the ToS for this game allows people to record, so you can't say that people can record until/unless someone says something.  If anything, if someone wants to record, they should ask the person before doing so.

11 hours ago, epicspeedster said:

I make videos as a rank 10 player, and guess what? People still watch it. That's because people like watching someone who has about the same progress as them. As for the asking for permission thing, I never do it. You can find yourself in a few of my videos Sawz, I don't ask for permission because its a game and its not violating privacy or anything. Plus when you load into a arena battle, its not like you ask for permission then if they say no you edit that out. So I would think that the permission to record thing is kinda weird, but otherwise I disagree that you don't have anything unique to offer as a r10. Sure you can't do like testing crazy build videos, or maxing out every single new item that comes out, but otherwise people still watch this stuff. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Then I ask you now, in public, please remove them.  You didn't ask, so I didn't give consent.  If not, you know where this will go.

It's not that I am angry or vengeful, it's the principle of the thing.  No one is allowed to record me without my prior consent.  (And for what it's worth, the ToS doesn't even really give Gato Games / TactiSoft the permission to record me, that I could see.)

To all, it's not about me being angry or upset.  It's not about me suspecting people are recording me: I know it happens.  But when someone is blatant about it in the arena and they don't ask me if they can, but instead say they're doing it, and then when I ask them not to they refuse to honor my request, that's when I pursue other courses of action.

If you'd just ask me if I am ok with being recorded, I'm 99% sure I'd allow you to every time.

The most recent person who did this, ironically, was a level 12 (I'm 10) and got their butt kicked, so it wasn't about me being upset that someone recorded me losing.  I don't care about that.  It's about the principles of freedom from monitoring.  That's something I have legal experience with because I've been tasked in the military (for example) to research the rules on setting up surveillance.

Why be pissed at a bunch of eight year olds that were inspired by dwightx and clevername's awesome videos?

Thanks for your service but c'mon man, let's be realistic. 

Does a mech that you made even count as you being recorded? I thought it was just faces and you needed consent for.

I'm actually legitimately curious about this question so if you could show some legal documentation explaining it I appreciate it a lot.  

3 hours ago, Liam.M.Lucas_2020 said:

Does a mech that you made even count as you being recorded? I thought it was just faces and you needed consent for.

I'm actually legitimately curious about this question so if you could show some legal documentation explaining it I appreciate it a lot.  

It's the principle of the thing. And some people use their real name on SuperMechs. I don't, but some do.

I just think that's the right thing to do: to ask. Again, I'm not trying to stir up krap just because. I actually don't like drama, believe it or not.

If someone started a video project and advertised on here that they wanted help, I'd probably volunteer.

It's deeper than just recording. It just feels to me like people don't respect anyone enough to even ask any more.

But maybe I'm just old or something.

10 hours ago, SawzAll said:

Nope.

First, I have this from TactiSoft (now Gato Games).  I have the right to tell anyone that I don't want to be recorded, and if they refuse to honor my request, I should report them to Gato Games.  I've been in email correspondence with them.

Second, that's not how consent works.  You don't record people against their will and then wait for them to contact you to have it removed.  You should ask for their permission each time.  Nothing in the ToS for this game allows people to record, so you can't say that people can record until/unless someone says something.  If anything, if someone wants to record, they should ask the person before doing so.

Then I ask you now, in public, please remove them.  You didn't ask, so I didn't give consent.  If not, you know where this will go.

It's not that I am angry or vengeful, it's the principle of the thing.  No one is allowed to record me without my prior consent.  (And for what it's worth, the ToS doesn't even really give Gato Games / TactiSoft the permission to record me, that I could see.)

To all, it's not about me being angry or upset.  It's not about me suspecting people are recording me: I know it happens.  But when someone is blatant about it in the arena and they don't ask me if they can, but instead say they're doing it, and then when I ask them not to they refuse to honor my request, that's when I pursue other courses of action.

If you'd just ask me if I am ok with being recorded, I'm 99% sure I'd allow you to every time.

The most recent person who did this, ironically, was a level 12 (I'm 10) and got their butt kicked, so it wasn't about me being upset that someone recorded me losing.  I don't care about that.  It's about the principles of freedom from monitoring.  That's something I have legal experience with because I've been tasked in the military (for example) to research the rules on setting up surveillance.

you're welcome to look at which videos your in, if its that important, also Sawz, how am I supposed to ask, when the matchmaking is completly random? I just randomly get matched with you while recording

Clan: Goodbye To A World

epicspeedster, SpeedMachine

2 hours ago, epicspeedster said:

you're welcome to look at which videos your in, if its that important, also Sawz, how am I supposed to ask, when the matchmaking is completly random? I just randomly get matched with you while recording

Is your chat feature broken?