Does desolation need a buff?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Does desolation need a buff?

• Yes, with the proposed values
    • Yes, but with different values
    • No, the weapon is fine
  2. 2. You really are an old kunt

On 1/13/2021 at 10:16 AM, Shoultz262 said:

Power creep is bad for games, even though it brings short term rewards and is quite profitable. And with new and more powerful items being released, the old items will have be buffed again eventually, which defeats the point of creating balance in the first place. The only reason you and lord gorgon don't want to use deso is because it's not meta and quite weak in the current meta of energy free physicals, and you want it to turn into a meta weapon. Deso isn't supposed to be a meta weapon. Meta weapons have to be the best weapons, and it'll usually be premiums.

Also, if deso got buffed, I bet that someone will eventually call for a supreme cannon buff or abomination buff.

That right there, is powercreep. Deso getting a big buff will make supreme cannon more useless than before, because why would you use something that does lower damage but cost energy?

Power creep is how most games function financially, in one way or another. Gato is not doing this for love, they’re doing it for profit. 😁

7 minutes ago, Mechzilla said:

Power creep is how most games function financially, in one way or another. Gato is not doing this for love, they’re doing it for profit. 😁

There are other ways to make profit in games, like cosmetics for example. If games only care about profit, they would have long since died out. There is a balance to everything.

• 2 years later...

I agree with Lord Gorgon. Desolation needs an upgrade. It is one of the few energy free heat weapons that doesn't do knockback.

You don't want to have to get to like 8 or 9 range to use others (like Flaming Scope, Cockpit Burner etc.) and most other energy free heat weapons only have 1 use. It is also very useful because you don't want the opponent to be able to use their weapons and want to keep them out of their weapon's range.

This is my proposal:

Exp Dmg:

+ 5-10%

Heat Cost:

Remain same or decrease by 10

Edited by Batallion Incinerator SM
the -> their (see edit history)

By someone, somewhere.

3 hours ago, Batallion Incinerator SM said:

I agree with Lord Gorgon. Desolation needs an upgrade. It is one of the few energy free heat weapons that doesn't do knockback.

You don't want to have to get to like 8 or 9 range to use others (like Flaming Scope, Cockpit Burner etc.) and most other energy free heat weapons only have 1 use. It is also very useful because you don't want the opponent to be able to use their weapons and want to keep them out of their weapon's range.

This is my proposal:

Exp Dmg:

+ 5-10%

Heat Cost:

Remain same or decrease by 10

Great suggestion, unfortunately you are 2 years to late ... and it doesn't look like there will be any changes the next 2 years ❗

😉

I use desolation as part of my standard fixtures. 

Main reason being I have abundant premium mods and torsos but in terms of usable weapons I'm kinda lacking. its free cheap and a welcomed bridge to the past.

However, pound for pound it is always beaten by other weapon options. Its main purpose as I see it is pure explo damage. Its heat output is almost irrelevent and always outweighed by its cost _always_. To give it extra explosive impact while widening a bit more the heat output profit (or at this point deficit) is a good trade. 

I do think it would make it viable for what is now a niche purpose in heat play (suicidal explosive damage in terms of heat exchange at the long range).

On 3/25/2023 at 3:48 AM, Fidelio said:

I use desolation as part of my standard fixtures. 

Main reason being I have abundant premium mods and torsos but in terms of usable weapons I'm kinda lacking. its free cheap and a welcomed bridge to the past.

However, pound for pound it is always beaten by other weapon options. Its main purpose as I see it is pure explo damage. Its heat output is almost irrelevent and always outweighed by its cost _always_. To give it extra explosive impact while widening a bit more the heat output profit (or at this point deficit) is a good trade. 

I do think it would make it viable for what is now a niche purpose in heat play (suicidal explosive damage in terms of heat exchange at the long range).

I think it would help if they decreased the weight a bit...

By someone, somewhere.

9 hours ago, Battalion Incinerator said:

I think it would help if they decreased the weight a bit...

decreasing weight would be another way to go to make it more viable, but I'd still preffer the increased explo for heat cost trade. 

it is quite heavy, its 1kg heavier than red rain and 25kg heavier than space invader which are the two most popular heat top weapons at present and arguably it doesnt deserve to have a higher weight than either since its range barriers are a lot more awkward and it doesn't synergise as well with the most popular heat side weapons. 

However, I dont think people are MAINLY held back from using it because of the weight. I think the main reason is it doesnt live up to its own mission statement as a weapon. like for space invader the mission statement is "I can close the gap, I have a low weight and a reasonable explo damage, but I cost a LOT of heat to use and put out very little heat in return and only have 2 uses" so its a "makes other weapons easier for cheap" kinda weapon (for heat atleast). for Redrain its like "my cooling damage and close range make closing the gap and overheating a doddle, but I'm heavy and I cost energy to use". As I see it desolation should be "at the long range I provide excellent explosive damage, but I'm not intended to enable other weapons and the heat exchange isnt exactly favourable". currently it has the drawbacks but it doesnt live up to the mission statement because the benefit simply isnt there. It USED to have that, but as more and more powerful heat weapons were introduced and I believe it was even nerfed once if memory served it simply does not live up to the task set for it as being a long range explosive damage battery. 

11 hours ago, Fidelio said:

decreasing weight would be another way to go to make it more viable, but I'd still preffer the increased explo for heat cost trade. 

it is quite heavy, its 1kg heavier than red rain and 25kg heavier than space invader which are the two most popular heat top weapons at present and arguably it doesnt deserve to have a higher weight than either since its range barriers are a lot more awkward and it doesn't synergise as well with the most popular heat side weapons. 

However, I dont think people are MAINLY held back from using it because of the weight. I think the main reason is it doesnt live up to its own mission statement as a weapon. like for space invader the mission statement is "I can close the gap, I have a low weight and a reasonable explo damage, but I cost a LOT of heat to use and put out very little heat in return and only have 2 uses" so its a "makes other weapons easier for cheap" kinda weapon (for heat atleast). for Redrain its like "my cooling damage and close range make closing the gap and overheating a doddle, but I'm heavy and I cost energy to use". As I see it desolation should be "at the long range I provide excellent explosive damage, but I'm not intended to enable other weapons and the heat exchange isnt exactly favourable". currently it has the drawbacks but it doesnt live up to the mission statement because the benefit simply isnt there. It USED to have that, but as more and more powerful heat weapons were introduced and I believe it was even nerfed once if memory served it simply does not live up to the task set for it as being a long range explosive damage battery. 

All top weapons rocket launchers are heavy

On 3/28/2023 at 12:02 AM, Fidelio said:

I agree.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:36 AM, hasn said:

All top weapons rocket launchers are heavy

Yeah...

Edited by Battalion Incinerator
Made an error ( pointed out by hasn ) (see edit history)

By someone, somewhere.