Exploits and Farmers

knarf

Question

To note, I have already sent in a support ticket on this issue asking how best to go about dealing with these specific players and I have not received any response in over two months. (Ticket #172706)

In the last year, there has been a growing issue with players tanking their ranks to gain easy wins.  A number of players have admitted that their Clan is requiring a certain number of arena wins per player to accomplish specific clan goals.  As we all know, the more a clan achieves victories in the arena the better the clan reward gets (lvl1, Random MIX box, lvl 2. 20k coin, lvl 3. rare power unit, lvl 4 10 tokens).  This is a direct definition of an exploit.  Players, mostly with divine gear, are playing in arena ranks 13-9 and sometimes even lower.  With the level of gear they have, they simply have no business being in such ranks, but they are playing in such ranks in order to achieve the easy wins and therefor add to the total clan arena wins.

Is this acceptable in Supermechs?  Is it acceptable for very highly geared (and high ranked) players, tanking their ranks to farm wins off of lower ranked players?

While I will admit, I have no evidence to support my claim.  The point of submitting a support ticket was to ask how I could go about reporting or gathering information to help Supermechs with this issue.  With no response, I have had no guidance in supporting this claim.  What I can point out is that there are a number of matches that players would immediately forfeit the match.  Unfortunately, if a "turn" is not taken, the match is not recorded to be reviewed.  So many of these "rank tankers" are not able to be tracked from a players perspective.  Other players will put in a turn or two, then end the match.  Looking at their match history, they have several matches where they purposely end the match prematurely.

If I have stepped out of bounds with the creation of this thread, I do apologize.  I, by no means, want to anger anyone here.  What I do want is to point out the issue and to have a fix looked into and deployed so fair play can be achieved and the exploit be fixed.

Knarfis

8 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, knarf said:

To note, I have already sent in a support ticket on this issue asking how best to go about dealing with these specific players and I have not received any response in over two months. (Ticket #172706)

In the last year, there has been a growing issue with players tanking their ranks to gain easy wins.  A number of players have admitted that their Clan is requiring a certain number of arena wins per player to accomplish specific clan goals.  As we all know, the more a clan achieves victories in the arena the better the clan reward gets (lvl1, Random MIX box, lvl 2. 20k coin, lvl 3. rare power unit, lvl 4 10 tokens).  This is a direct definition of an exploit.  Players, mostly with divine gear, are playing in arena ranks 13-9 and sometimes even lower.  With the level of gear they have, they simply have no business being in such ranks, but they are playing in such ranks in order to achieve the easy wins and therefor add to the total clan arena wins.

Is this acceptable in Supermechs?  Is it acceptable for very highly geared (and high ranked) players, tanking their ranks to farm wins off of lower ranked players?

While I will admit, I have no evidence to support my claim.  The point of submitting a support ticket was to ask how I could go about reporting or gathering information to help Supermechs with this issue.  With no response, I have had no guidance in supporting this claim.  What I can point out is that there are a number of matches that players would immediately forfeit the match.  Unfortunately, if a "turn" is not taken, the match is not recorded to be reviewed.  So many of these "rank tankers" are not able to be tracked from a players perspective.  Other players will put in a turn or two, then end the match.  Looking at their match history, they have several matches where they purposely end the match prematurely.

If I have stepped out of bounds with the creation of this thread, I do apologize.  I, by no means, want to anger anyone here.  What I do want is to point out the issue and to have a fix looked into and deployed so fair play can be achieved and the exploit be fixed.

Knarfis

It does happen. 

If you check my OKIDOKI or O.D FARM progress thread I do not remember in which I mentioned long ago. 

You need to understand multiple things.

1- People playing at lower rank to get easy wins is real. You are not wrong but all depend of situations.

2- People developing parts. 

3- People stranded not 3 mechs in full

1-For the first case, some players play in full power to collect wins but there are not a lot of them because regardless wins they lose gold collection due to lower rank grant less gold. 

Some of them play knowing is too infected of same powerful mechs that they cannot beat because the system match them up in a carousel against same players and been at R5 the system match them up against R5-R1 players in full disadvantage to be able to get a win. They lower sometimes not all seasons except the one with difficulty and play on R6 against others R5 R4 just to say power level because no more remedy but the system do the same and then match players R8-R7 against them and sometimes even lower like R10 and also been in R6 match you up with R3 even R2 and this is not a joke.

The lower ranks suffer for sure but also those that just crossed too unable to win and having just losses. That happen to me when I moved to R5 and had only loses one after another and I remember 26 and 40 loses one after another unable to get daily 5 wins. 

The game compensate matching not only the weapon increasing in level but also compensate when you increase the level of your modules. I made tons of test for over a year testing module changes and matches level. That has been verify by me one time after another. 

There are other factors like time. Some players just do not have time to play much and do it to get 5 wins then walk away not because get easy win but still because same conditions. They prefer stay on top because earn more gold in the 5 wins not in lower rank. 

Many players does have problem about power level and mechs in the arena matches. For example an R1 player had hard time to reach R1 status by the end of the season. When the new season begging the system drop them to R4. So an R1 became R4 and fight against some R5-1 players powerful enough to kill them just starting and can be an R5 that is normally an R3 and those guys can kill R1 like butter if the R1 is not careful or having the right mech to kill them and can't do nothing about it and maybe bad luck because maybe they reached R2 maybe 3 stars or 1 star by end of season maybe with 1 or 2 loses that R1 player dropped to R5 for a moment and end up matching against R8-R6 player next round.

For those that have power to sustain R5 by end of season not mean can fight normally at that rank. When season change they are dropped to R7 normally and they need to fight to move up to get R5 box if possible by end of season when the most powerful guys already moved up and they can compete against close power opponent and can win or lose by margin then to move up on rank pulling their hair out trying to do. Those are just example of what in reality does happen between others issues not because the system is totally a mess. 

2- There are people like me that play at lower rank sometimes 1 time in a month or 6 weeks or every 3 weeks or sometimes one yes and one no. I can play at all ranks but I am not a pro even I can play for R1 every season if I had time. My time in the game is limited so I tend to test and develop parts from EPIC L1 and when is premium Legend L1. 

Those parts I assemble them together not as making a mech but as centralize place to max parts for the future. Those parts are developed little by little and growth on their respective level like anyone at lower rank leveling up parts step by step. 

These are some example current mechs in test just little by little maxing out parts not ready for combat since are not developed for combat instead just making parts.

image.png.32b4cb967696c8ad7112e89a73d48304.png

This is an example of my development through the time. Check the time stamp indicating May 17. It does have a different side weapon because I finished time ago and replaced with a different L1 part but still had same look.

This is same mech back in August 30. You can see the color change.

In my case some players accuse me of smurfing when I do not do it. What does happen I play those mechs as it is learning weapons never used before in different levels regardless I play against them but not me having them developed so I try to test and learn the weapon. 

Because I can play at R1 some players call me CANCER etc like last week and this week accusing me of holding rank. They hate me because they recognize me as top player but I am not a pro but just a part maker to make many farming as can be seen in my OKI DOKI and O.D FARM thread progress little by little. It is public so everyone can see it and know what I am doing or will do like this season I will play at low rank for test and development.  

image.thumb.png.2e5bb1c28295f46e6607f43d57a6698e.png

image.png.1307b8e4ba4f6a98c324923b0ccbde84.png

image.png.ce6ee57843af8d65b891d2a2620af445.png

This is another example of mechs been under progress for very long and not ready for combat because just making parts. 

image.png.53d8f1650121da60d866ab72092f79f3.png

This is an example of one of the parts since then trying to enhance from last year 

image.png.b5534c29263f37e4c31dab16faca3989.png

This is the time of the picture 1/3/21. So As a team set of parts assembled of 3 mechs it is been under development step by step. The mechs are not ready but retired from low rank because can achieve R5 but sometimes I play with the not developed and one of them not fully developed but ok for R5. Now the combo between both as 2v2 I lose all the time because I am against players full developed regardless modules. 

image.png.6bd0799f67f9f6fe96dcebc0c634e4cc.png

Below some others example developing parts so of course you will see those in R10 or whatever reach step by step. 

image.png.fc88627cdc4fc8f284e70ee854e3054d.png

In other words I do not abuse the system but they want me to look like I do abuse when I play fair and square. 

Below some examples of win and lose. check the fights and turns. I lose many and I win some others as should in normal matches. Some quit because can't against the mech because counters and some others their stats are 900 in both sides and many play at 3000, 3500, 3200 etc on health with good or low modules.

3- Some players those not have more remedy than to play on R6 been an R5-R3 or even R1 player by end of season but sadly they cannot play at 3V3 season because they do not have a 3er mech to fight and they will be stuck on R5 losing and losing and losing and losing till end of season not even gating daily so they need to play at 2V2 without choice in that sense. Sure they can make some mechs not that powerful and level down power  to respective rank to not abuse. 

Remember, many do not have choices because no power to play at top but powerful enough to reached but not to be able to compete. Some stuck not having enough mechs, some matches as the system set people at new season and some test too. 

The system it is not a total mess and totally wrong but all players like me had the same issue when I was trying to move up every level against 2 levels up above me and more powerful weapons even divined status at low ranks. 

Yes, a tiny portion can be abuser but it is minimal but sure some are and normally not because the win thing but due to level of difficulty they have at early stages of the season then clinch by the end of season higher rank.

Some example I do face during the pvp developing is the same. 

Me in the right side. Module also where under development as set for test and progressing step by step been R7 in that fight. Look the opponent stats. Sure is my loss. 

image.thumb.png.f96e8f31b9b5e665358ec451900d3809.png

Another example that I can win or lose at R7 depending initial position etc. Look the stats so we are even in power respecting possibilities even does have more HP than me and my weapons won't affect his attacks.

image.thumb.png.8bb9e0e106c110ed6b45f317a442d0e2.png

Been R7 vs R6. His stats are better but resist low. To play that mech in R5 will be tuff on him but good enough to kill me.  There are too many examples to show me out of luck in lower rank against better mechs in full power but not enough to sustain R4 or R5 and sure some of them yes can but not enough. 

image.thumb.png.209b57e37db2a5bbb102c9542ec6dd6d.png

Another

image.thumb.png.f795730c4f6c9fc0ec06f1e7ef9bf404.png

and his second mech against my second. I will say is farming wins. Now, we are in the 3v3 and not mean it does can compete 3v3 with a 3er mech but possibilities are high. 

image.thumb.png.d8680c1f84ded19c015998397d38ed2f.png

As a side NOTE: You can maybe say I smurfing at some point but not on purpose. 

The problem is that I am playing with lower rank mechs not capable to cross rank to R5 forcing me when I am at lower rank and will move up post playing with undeveloped mech and move to play at higher rank I have to switch mech to a more powerful mech to be able to cross rank and play against top players but that is crossing not abusing. In that case I can't do nothing and you can end up accusing me but that is normal for testers like me. 

Also, I do not do this for the clan, I play testing from start my account to learn parts before use in real combat and sometimes at the chat room asking for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 to fight me.  I was solo player and my solo play time surpass my recent first time joining a clan time. 

Hi Oki,

Thank you for the response and the thought you put into everything you said. 

I am going to be honest with you, I think you are commenting out of your league here.  You constantly refereed to very high ranks 1-5, which I cannot comment on the environment there.  Having players dripping with a full set of divine weapons, over 3k HP and over 700 capacity in both heat and energy and over 300 cooling/recharge on each of their mechs, fighting rank 12-9 players is simply unacceptable.  You also mentioned that people do not have a "3rd mech" or that they "wanted to test/build weapons up" and they do so in the lower ranks.  Both reasons, I am not sure why or how they can be acceptable to you or anyone else.  Developing gear on lower ranked players?  So I guess with that sort of logic, I get a new item and I should just tank my rank to say 20 and "develop that item" on those poor souls.  Is that acceptable?  Not having a third mech is clearly poor game management on the part of the player.  I have been as far as rank 8 and my third mech was not called upon.  So why are these VERY powerful players, fighting in rank 12-9 instead of in the higher ranks?  ( I do not know when a third mech is required in the arena).  Also, all of these players have a third mech, so again, what is the issue?

Most importantly is that you could not comment on the simple fact that these players are exploiting the game to their and their clans' benefit at the expense of the lower ranks players.

The whole idea of the ranking system is to match equally skilled/geared players with equally skilled/geared players.  Tanking one's rank for any reason completely defeats the purpose of the ranking system.  And because there is a reward system associated with arena wins, it is a win, win situation for the player who tanks their rank and farms on the lower ranked players.  Again, how is this acceptable?

I am sorry sir, while you put a great deal of effort into your response to me, your response read more like a defense to bad behavior rather than explaining to me how these players are not exploiting the game, taking advantage of a system within the game, or how it is perfectly acceptable to farm lower ranked players, at their expense.

What is worse about this is that not a single game developer, game leader, forum admin or anyone associated with Supermechs has commented on this subject.  Is this sort of exploit perfectly acceptable to them?  If it is, I will be telling my entire clan to tank their ranks so we can start racking up some significant wins and prizes too.

Knarf

Edited by knarf (see edit history)

so, one way sm dealt with this is just putting a rank floor. there is a stopgap for deranking if at or above rank 5. im not sure if this should be applied to every 2-3 ranks as a deranking preventative measure because that will only make honest pvpers lose more in hopes that smurfs will eventually thin out by season's end each week.

in reality, there isnt a proper developed way of dealing with these players, and the core gameplay of sm is why these said players exist

Knarf, I totally agree! I come across maxed myths builds with over 100 resistance or 2.5K health in 2v2 who just sit there and wait for time to run out a few times a day. They rarely play me but I get destroyed when they do. It's kind of annoying when physical or electric mechs do it but kind of nice with heat mechs do it because I can get snacks while they play with themselves since shut down skips my turn automatically.

As for what OKI said, he has a valid point too. It definately depends on gear so it's not always intentional. My build has max myth torso with legendary everything else and I get crazy match ups. I sit between 10 rank four starts and 9 rank 2 stars but get matched with rank 13 and 8 almost daily. Craziest match up ever was a rank 14.

I'm just mentioning this because yes there is an issue but it would be bad to flag because some players really do get tossed into inappropriate ranks just by changing one piece of gear. I think it would be better to have a match record like on chess.com that shows the percentage of abandoned games and an automatic flag that tags accounts with high abandonment percentages for review by volunteer admins.

Then again, that sounds like a lot of work for a minimal pay off so I doubt they will address it.

@Fordekash Hitting the "quit" button does not take much effort nor does it take much time either. Not quite sure what you are talking about here.  Sorry

@DefinitelyNotTrophy While that would be a great stop gap for future tankers, it does not deal with those that have already tanked.  Just yesterday I was matched up with someone who was rank 12, over 2800hp and all divine gear.  This player could easily stay at that rank and mop the floor with the opponents this person faces.  Win some matches, tank the rank, rinse and repeat.

@No. Yep, I deal with those all the time.  I deal with others that get one or two shots in, then quit.  I get those that just sit and wait for the time to run out.  I get those that instantly quit.  I get those that kick the crap out of me and before they kill me off, quit the game.

Clearly this is perfectly acceptable to Supermechs and Grato Games.

5 hours ago, knarf said:

@DefinitelyNotTrophy While that would be a great stop gap for future tankers, it does not deal with those that have already tanked.  Just yesterday I was matched up with someone who was rank 12, over 2800hp and all divine gear.  This player could easily stay at that rank and mop the floor with the opponents this person faces.  Win some matches, tank the rank, rinse and repeat.

well duh of course, but it does take less stars to go from 12 to 11 than it does from 5 to 4. i would argue that a smurfer will have a harder time staying at r12 than r5 because it takes less wins to rank up, and because people quit more often when they see a clearly overupgraded opponent at these ranks, smurfers are more likely to gain double stars when consecutively winning from instaquits. it is disingenuous for a smurfer to stay in those ranks (10 - 25) for optimal win grinding.

now, i didn't take into account that smurfers will just switch to common-rarity teams to smurf down before going on a win spree. even if smurfers use this tactic, continually switching between derank-purposed and mythed teams wastes more time at lower ranks than it does near the top.

the situations described above would be further mitigated by extra stopgap measures but at the expense of demotivating all pvpers.

When smurfing and gaining insane win streaks you will also be put against opponents of your original rank at some point. I.E. if you were rank 5, and go down to rank 17, get 10 wins in a row and be rank 12, you will be matched up against rank 5 players again.

Legacy Messiah | Reign Forever | Rejoined March 2020