An Issue...

• Administrators

Suggestions are always welcome, but design is in part based on opinions and I hope you can understand that it's subjective, not object, that they're too wide. 😛 

It also creates more space for images, it's well within the range of the space a book would have or a website article (the text is roughly the same width as CNN news articles). It's wider than Discourse for sure, but it's not so much "bad" as "different". 

I feel like you'll get used to it and be fine with it. Similarly while I agree for sure improvements can be made - I am hardly a skilled designer, we'll eventually hire someone who will probably demand many changes - I did modify an existing theme (made the header a bit smaller, changed a couple of css things I didnt like, stuff like that) that should be a pretty base and some others seem to like the result quite a lot...

All in all, feedback is welcome, but please understand that different than what you're used to isn't per se bad. It's not discourse, it's fine for it not to be discourse. It's IPS, which is used by 5x as many big websites as Discourse is. Linus Tech Tips has the same software and even wider posts - Neowin and a bunch of others use it too. It really isn't productive to state it as a fact. 😛 

Also, if it's any help, I am also the same guy who once modified the Discourse forum into what it is now. And dealt with the people who insisted the old one was way better. 😛 

1 hour ago, FennekinFyreFour said:

I hope that Alexander is aware that this place still needs some polishing, but why is every single post so WIDE?

um I counted and old forum had 90 characters per line...

this one has 108

it's a really small difference 

• Administrators
Just now, Fyrestare said:

um I counted and old forum had 90 characters per line...

this one has 108

it's a really small difference 

Still feels big when you change 😛 18 characters is more than you'd think if you suddenly go up over 20%! Its understandable someone would feel awkward about it.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Zylok said:

The text is smaller so a lot more words and signs fit on one line. That's why it feels wider I think. 

It actually is better like this imo

You can also make pretty beautiful posts on this one. It supports alignments and imagQuita the Kitty | Care at Homee alignments. 

So something like this is very much possible.

You can be on topic and still post a beautiful kitten! Marvelous!

What a beautiful cat.