Remove pads from top ranks battles (rank 1-5)

Shoultz262

Removing pads from top ranks battles  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want pads to be removed from top ranks battles (rank 1-5)?

Pads have been a extra and usually unwanted variable in top ranks gameplay, and it encourages players to just sit on them and abuse them. Imagine that your opponent wins because of pads, how would you feel? And yes, sometimes you can win due to pads, but it's like rng. Better to not rely on it but on your own skill. Therefore I propose pads be removed from top ranks battles.

1 hour ago, Shoultz262 said:

it encourages players to just sit on them and abuse them

It also encourages people to knock people off of them.

It also encourages people to have skill and think.

Some mech battles, without pads, would be very boring anyways: just sitting at rank 3-6 pounding each other with weapons until someone wins.

I am not against pads, but let's see how the vote comes out.

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

http://www.puresimplicity.net/~oneeyedcat/misc/supermechs.html

2 minutes ago, SawzAll said:

Some mech battles, without pads, would be very boring anyways: just sitting at rank 3-6 pounding each other with weapons until someone wins.

agreed.

One Mech to rule them all

30 minutes ago, SawzAll said:

Because sitting on pads is very skillful. And assuming you try to knock them off, they would either get back on which makes it useless, or they still made you waste a turn knocking them off.

Plus if you and your opponent in that battle just pounds away at each other, the one who wins will usually have a better mech. Whereas in a battle with pad, it can be due to pads or rng.

Edited by Shoultz262 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Shoultz262 said:

Because sitting on pads is very skillful. And assuming you try to knock them off, they would either get back on which makes it useless, or they still made you waste a turn knocking them off.

Plus if you and your opponent in that battle just pounds away at each other, the one who wins will usually have a better mech. Whereas in a battle with pad, it can be due to pads or rng.

And I've won plenty of matches where someone thought getting back on the pad was a god use of their move.  Nearly always, it's not beneficial to waste a turn to stay on a healing pad.  In fact, in heat vs heat battles, I've stopped trying to knock the person off the pad and just kept pouring on the heat.  The only difference it made, because their cooling was garbage, was that it took me longer to destroy their mech.  It didn't stop me.

And there have been times where it's been more efficient to stay on a negative resistance pad than try to jump off.  Usually, again, heat vs heat, because I put them in a shutdown loop.

But hey, if people vote in favor of removing them, we'll see what Alex does.  I voted "no", i.e. I don't think they "need to" be removed.  But if they get removed, I don't care.  I'm not trying to stand in the way of getting rid of the pads, I just don't see them being a huge issue to me personally. 

I think they were a TactiSoft thing, sure.  But I think they add some spice to the game because otherwise it's mostly just who gets the best RNG and who has the best mechs/builds.  Pads add a tiny bit of strategy, but I don't think they break the game, either.

Edited by SawzAll (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, SawzAll said:

But I think they add some spice to the game because otherwise it's mostly just who gets the best RNG and who has the best mechs/builds.  Pads add a tiny bit of strategy, but I don't think they break the game, either.

I completely agree. Sometimes it turns into "king/Queen of the pad" and makes it fun.

Brought to you by asshats to reelect AssClown to the Itty Bitty Titty Committee.

3 hours ago, AssClown said:

I completely agree. Sometimes it turns into "king/Queen of the pad" and makes it fun.

To be fair, though, I think scope users are more annoying than pad hogs.

Edited by SawzAll (see edit history)

Hmm, I will say that the majority of my start position it is in favor of my opponent that include if I start to shoot or second. Anyway, I have the 65% average to lose due to pads but still ok to make game more interesting. What it is more annoying it is not the pad and the scope since I use scope or not scope mechs instead the position to start and against with whom you play in a vicious cycle with same players due to AI matching against same player or group of players regardless the hour when there are more players around.