Microsoft Store: SuperMechs

JamAnime

I'm not Alex, but if you'd be willing to let me reply....

First off, could we get this as a suggestion with a poll attached?

Second, I can tell you from experience that the Microsoft store is like the Amazon-themed android store: it is horrible.  I ran into this problem with some Roland synthesizers: the microsoft drivers were fundamentally broken, so Roland would have to email me the original drivers and I'd have to install those and uninstall Microsoft's update drivers version.  It took Roland like 2-3 years to get Microsoft to fix it, and Roland isn't known for being slow to market.  In fact, Roland's the best company in terms of support I've ever seen.

I'm going to be completely honest: even if it ended up in Microsoft store, you'd end up seeing people asking for the .exe download installer because they'll claim the Microsoft store is broken.  Which is more or less is.

With all due respect, especially in my long IT history of seeing Microsoft's updates break programs accidentally, to the Netscape scandal where they intentionally sabotaged another company's program, making a deal with Microsoft is like making a deal with the Devil, Satan, El Diablo himself.  I'm really not interested in that, and if that happens, i'm going to have to back up a copy of the original installer so that I can send it to people over discord when Microsoft breaks SM.   Let's see, Microsoft also pushed EFI onto people in an attempt to lock out Linux (because, again, they don't tell people how stuff works).  Then they also had OEMs start placing their onboard disk controllers into RAID instead of AHCI (which is not just a wrong way to implement RAID but another attempt to lock others out).  I was speaking to a Dell tech rep about how to reverse an update they push through the Microsoft store Dell software updater, and they told me flat out that they do not have control over that.  Once it hits the Microsoft store, they claimed, Microsoft ran it from there.  They could not prevent certain updates from making it into their product.

This is also as a former software developer for Linux: many of Microsoft's "open standards" are neither open nor standards, as Microsoft can't implement ideas into reality.  Many Linux functions like mounting FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS partitions have had to "learn" how Microsoft actually implements their "open standards," because it's often slightly different than they claim it is on paper.  They'll claim something works one way, but then it don't, and Linux programmers have to figure out how it actually works by trial and error, and sometimes reverse engineering.  And given Microsoft's track record, this is also probably intentional, because of plausible deniability ("oops, we didn't intend for it not to work like our standards claimed it would").

I think sticking with Adobe technology (Adobe isn't always perfect but they have a far better track record) over Microsoft is best.  But I'm not a programmer so take this with a grain of salt.

Edited by SawzAll (see edit history)

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

http://www.puresimplicity.net/~oneeyedcat/misc/supermechs.html

2 hours ago, SawzAll said:

I'm not Alex, but if you'd be willing to let me reply....

First off, could we get this as a suggestion with a poll attached?

Second, I can tell you from experience that the Microsoft store is like the Amazon-themed android store: it is horrible.  I ran into this problem with some Roland synthesizers: the microsoft drivers were fundamentally broken, so Roland would have to email me the original drivers and I'd have to install those and uninstall Microsoft's update drivers version.  It took Roland like 2-3 years to get Microsoft to fix it, and Roland isn't known for being slow to market.  In fact, Roland's the best company in terms of support I've ever seen.

I'm going to be completely honest: even if it ended up in Microsoft store, you'd end up seeing people asking for the .exe download installer because they'll claim the Microsoft store is broken.  Which is more or less is.

With all due respect, especially in my long IT history of seeing Microsoft's updates break programs accidentally, to the Netscape scandal where they intentionally sabotaged another company's program, making a deal with Microsoft is like making a deal with the Devil, Satan, El Diablo himself.  I'm really not interested in that, and if that happens, i'm going to have to back up a copy of the original installer so that I can send it to people over discord when Microsoft breaks SM.   Let's see, Microsoft also pushed EFI onto people in an attempt to lock out Linux (because, again, they don't tell people how stuff works).  Then they also had OEMs start placing their onboard disk controllers into RAID instead of AHCI (which is not just a wrong way to implement RAID but another attempt to lock others out).  I was speaking to a Dell tech rep about how to reverse an update they push through the Microsoft store Dell software updater, and they told me flat out that they do not have control over that.  Once it hits the Microsoft store, they claimed, Microsoft ran it from there.  They could not prevent certain updates from making it into their product.

This is also as a former software developer for Linux: many of Microsoft's "open standards" are neither open nor standards, as Microsoft can't implement ideas into reality.  Many Linux functions like mounting FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS partitions have had to "learn" how Microsoft actually implements their "open standards," because it's often slightly different than they claim it is on paper.  They'll claim something works one way, but then it don't, and Linux programmers have to figure out how it actually works by trial and error, and sometimes reverse engineering.  And given Microsoft's track record, this is also probably intentional, because of plausible deniability ("oops, we didn't intend for it not to work like our standards claimed it would").

I think sticking with Adobe technology (Adobe isn't always perfect but they have a far better track record) over Microsoft is best.  But I'm not a programmer so take this with a grain of salt.

Didn't know, yet how long ago was that??? 

Just giving a suggestion also.  I don't mind what others post also.

2 hours ago, Burn Baby Burn said:

because gambling is forbidden for underage,that means SM would have to publish drop rates like any other legal game.

this is from game on MS store

drdrd.png

I did not know that...