Counterparts: Thoughts?

What are your thoughts on Counterparts? (The Poll didn't show up in the initial topic, so I had to edit it in.)  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are they real?

• Real
    • Not Real

I was on Discord until I came across a friend that was talking about Scalpel and I mentioned that Scalpel is technically the only energy sword in the game since it has a relation to Brightroar, an L-M energy sword and only sword of its tier (which was a mistake of mine since I was caught up in the spur of things. Scalpel and Brightroar are still two entities, even if connected, so I definitely screwed up when I said that. Anyways, back to the topic-). That then brought up a discussion about what this topic is about.

The game doesn't mention item relationships being a feature (a point that said friend brought up) but the game doesn't have an explanation for items bearing close similarities yet having cut-off segments in their transformation ranges (like Royal Launcher being C-R and Supreme Cannon being E-M when C-M items are possible).

Due to this being a rather complex topic to discuss about, I want to see what others think about the matter, hence this topic and the poll that comes with it.

So, what are your views on the matter? Do you think that counterparts could be a part of SM or are counterparts too complex of a system for the game to handle?

A Quick Explanation of Counterparts 

For those who are confused by what I mean by the term "counterpart", it's where two items share similarities in a metamorphosing fashion, where the lesser item becomes the greater item and gains a new style.

An example of what I mean would be Rapid Destruction and Spartan Carnage. Rapid Destruction, a R-E top-mounted chaingun that caps out at epic, becomes maxed out at level 30.. However, then there is Spartan Carnage, a L-M top-mounted chaingun that caps out at mythical (not including divine), becomes maxed out at level 50. Rapid Destruction stats from a low tier but doesn't end at a high tier while Spartan Carnage ends at a high tier but doesn't start from a low tier.

Hence why I believe that counterpart relationships exist as a way to explain how some items start from higher tiers or how others end at lower tiers. Of course, there are exceptions, but those are less frequent than the ones that mostly fit the situation that Rapid Destruction and Spartan Carnage are involved in. I could involve other reasons why I believe that counterparts are a thing but they're more like nitpicks rather than solid points, so I won't include them in the grand scheme of things.

Anyways, that's all from me. I apologize for the long topic but I wanted to go in-depth with the topic at hand so that everyone could be on a similar page. Also, feel free to leave your thoughts down below if you want to go in-depth with your reasoning.. But only as long as it doesn't come down to serious debating about rights and wrongs. This is a topic about views rather than facts, so treating it as such is unnecessary and would cause more problems than solutions.

But with that being said, I hope everyone has a pleasant rest of their day, whether it be the dawn of a new day or the dusk of a closing one.

This is Whiteout, signing off (not literally).

Edited by W.H.I.T.E.O.U.T (see edit history)

If you fail and don't succeed at something, you simply haven't failed enough. Through failures, one can pave a path to eventual success. 

Uhh I don't really get how scalpel is the only energy sword in the game, since it's c-m and directly connects to brightroar

honestly if we remove counterparts the game will be waaaaaaaaaaaay too easy since you can just get a future spartan carnage or abomination just by opening a mix box.

unless we introduce a lot more other commons and rares that is

I polish rocks

1 minute ago, ChooseGeno said:

Uhh I don't really get how scalpel is the only energy sword in the game, since it's c-m and directly connects to brightroar

Yeah, I made a mistake when I said that since they're still two energy swords even if they're connected but I was only quoting what I said at the time, so I have to quote that failure of perspective. 

But hey, I get to make up for it by confessing my mistake through a reply.

If you fail and don't succeed at something, you simply haven't failed enough. Through failures, one can pave a path to eventual success. 

The way I look at it is: the weapons with counter parts are either old versions of new items or new improved versions of old items, so the item is the same only the new item is better and can go to a higher level. I wonder how many people I confused with this lol.

PURPLE  Bring Back The Confetti! "Like and follow it'll give me a better reputation" - Spam

477762592_Misk_(4).png.ed80aefd5743fea96af6de357b7d04a1.png

Stolen from @JamAnime

1 minute ago, Spam said:

The way I look at it is: the weapons with counter parts are either old versions of new items or new improved versions of old items, so the item is the same only the new item is better and can go to a higher level. I wonder how many people I confused with this lol.

So you mean something like this?

Disintegration is the backfire counterpart of Annihilation.

Hot Flash is the non-premium counterpart of Hybrid Energy Cannon.

Twisted Flux is the lower-tier counterpart of Abomination.

They're only examples of what you described but I could be wrong about what you were referring to. Feel free to correct me if that is the case.

3 minutes ago, Spam said:

Yes, but the new versions have newer tech and do more dmg

For premium versions of E-M items, yes.

But for premiums that have epic and lower counterparts, the connection between the two are usually the same connection shared by E-M items and their rare and lower counterparts.