New item request: Energy Voltage Reducer

SawzAll

Should we add an energy version of Vandal Rage?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should we add an energy version of Vandal Rage?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Do you like the proposed stats?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Should an electric Vandal Rage do as much damage as proposed? Less? More?

• Should do more damage than the proposal
    • The proposal is good
    • Should do less damage than proposed.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Tirreggregars said:

Yes, you make a good point, however, you have to consider that for lower rankers, 80 or 90 regen damage is too much.

That's why this weapon, to put it frankly, cannot work for both higher and lower ranks. If it does get released it will destroy the lower rank meta, or be insignificant at top ranks, and due to this, I believe it a complete waste to release such an item, when we could focus on making viable energy weapons.

Just now, Turtle said:

This is a losing battle imo

?

I literally pulled an MPV from r3 box, and from the other r3 box I opened, I puleld plat fortress, so its holy sry whiteout

No progress has been made at all in my opinion. I'm pretty confident that the weapon will have to be built towards top players, making it much too strong for a low ranks to deal with..

But hey, if you want to deal with it, be my guest.

I'm the real Turtle, simple as that.

1 minute ago, Tirreggregars said:

Yes, you make a good point, however, you have to consider that for lower rankers, 80 or 90 regen damage is too much.

Seems pretty fair to me when the only thing you need to do to get out of 'low ranks' is to max your items and arena stats. The former of which can be done at one item per week once you find OD6 insane. The ladder takes a year, at least for the relevant arena buff categories. 

Point being that it won't affect low ranks, because the players who max their items won't be low ranked much longer. That's how the progression system works... 😅

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

I'm pretty confident that the weapon will have to be built towards top players, making it much too strong for a low ranks to deal with..

Well at least you didn't say "it will."  I think that's one of the problems I've ran into is well-meaning people who want to shoot down this idea because they say "it will" do this or that.  Problem with that logic is that we don't know the future.  And also, if the item turns out to be overpowered (not like we haven't seen that before) we can just nerf it.  I am fairly confident that with testing, however, it will turn out to be useful and, if as many people help me test it as possible, we won't run into a problem where it comes out overpowered. 

2 hours ago, WarrMachine said:

Seems pretty fair to me when the only thing you need to do to get out of 'low ranks' is to max your items and arena stats. The former of which can be done at one item per week once you find OD6 insane. The ladder takes a year, at least for the relevant arena buff categories. 

Point being that it won't affect low ranks, because the players who max their items won't be low ranked much longer. That's how the progression system works... 😅

Thanks for pointing this out.  I think some people have a sort of "learned helplessness" going on when it comes to the arena.  Today (250 token reward for 10 wins) is a great example.  I love this deal, it's very generous.  But the arena is full of people today trying to earn it.  Therefore arena competition is going to be tough.  On a day like today, some might find themselves despairing over the state of the arena and wanting to give up playing SM.  I've ran into two of them today already.  My advice to them is don't put a ton of importance on the arena.  Just play the game.  And watch CleverName's videos.  Even he loses in the arena once in a while.  It's ok to lose once in a while.  Just learn and keep doing your best.

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

There's still the classy people who just want to stay at rank 10 forever and torment those ranks.

Me and my clan are against the smurfs.

But that's sort of off topic.

So back to the topic: I think that if we get people testing the item (Max said regen damage probably needs to be 90), then it could be viable.  And honestly, whether some people agree with me or not, I believe that all the builds should be viable in the top ranks, from energy regen damage to heat cooling damage to resistance drain builds.  I think more variety of viable builds in the top ranks leads to more competition, more variety, and more fun.

I think this might be a good step towards making energy regen damage builds a thing.  But even if not, I think having the extra regen damage for energy drain builds would help them drain their enemies.

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

http://www.puresimplicity.net/~oneeyedcat/misc/supermechs.html

3 hours ago, SawzAll said:

I disagree: if the stats are high enough, without making it overpowered, it could work.  But because enemies get free energy at the end of every turn (regen) it might need to be slightly higher than VR.

Once again. Energy and heat work in different ways. Where energy have every turn on count, heat can manage waste 1-2 turns on make life easier things because of overheat effect. Even if you cut out all regen enemy gonna move with free energy weaponory/utlities. Also dont forget you actually need DRAIN energy after it too, vs free energy mechs that gonna be even bigger joke and enemy not gonna stay on one place and gona able damage you and if you remember energy mechs not in position of good surviablity. All in all if you want energy regen dmg play a role, better to look add it in/buff already exist weapon. 

Edited by JustAndromedaInshape (see edit history)

1 hour ago, SawzAll said:

Well at least you didn't say "it will."  I think that's one of the problems I've ran into is well-meaning people who want to shoot down this idea because they say "it will" do this or that.  Problem with that logic is that we don't know the future.  And also, if the item turns out to be overpowered (not like we haven't seen that before) we can just nerf it.  I am fairly confident that with testing, however, it will turn out to be useful and, if as many people help me test it as possible, we won't run into a problem where it comes out overpowered. 

Thanks for pointing this out.  I think some people have a sort of "learned helplessness" going on when it comes to the arena.  Today (250 token reward for 10 wins) is a great example.  I love this deal, it's very generous.  But the arena is full of people today trying to earn it.  Therefore arena competition is going to be tough.  On a day like today, some might find themselves despairing over the state of the arena and wanting to give up playing SM.  I've ran into two of them today already.  My advice to them is don't put a ton of importance on the arena.  Just play the game.  And watch CleverName's videos.  Even he loses in the arena once in a while.  It's ok to lose once in a while.  Just learn and keep doing your best.

So back to the topic: I think that if we get people testing the item (Max said regen damage probably needs to be 90), then it could be viable.  And honestly, whether some people agree with me or not, I believe that all the builds should be viable in the top ranks, from energy regen damage to heat cooling damage to resistance drain builds.  I think more variety of viable builds in the top ranks leads to more competition, more variety, and more fun.

I think this might be a good step towards making energy regen damage builds a thing.  But even if not, I think having the extra regen damage for energy drain builds would help them drain their enemies.

He literally said it will word by word.

@WarrMachine I get that thats how the system works, but at lower ranks people can maybe max a few items, and per say I might be running a rounded build, and end up fighting a person with a weapon like that, who doesn't progress, because their builds are bad. In general, making a weapon that is a gateway to higher ranks is wrong and unbalanced.

1 hour ago, SawzAll said:

Here is my question? Do you consider it fair to make an item that is a gateway to higher ranks, if yes, be my guest, if not, then rework this item please, I'd rather have it as an L-M at least, and with only 70 regen damage, to justify it's being too strong. Otherwise, give it 46 regen damage, make it useless at top ranks and be done with it.

Also, Sawz, an interesting proposition for u, try to listen to what others say, even if it isn't what you want to hear.

I literally pulled an MPV from r3 box, and from the other r3 box I opened, I puleld plat fortress, so its holy sry whiteout